Jobs, Housing Data Undermine Recovery Hopes
President Barack Obama and the other leaders pledged to boost the resources at the IMF and other lending institutions by $1.1 trillion to help developing nations withstand the economic slump. There was little expectation that differences that remain over how to jump-start growth would be resolved during the weekend discussions.
The Labor Department also said Thursday that an additional 2.3 million people were receiving benefits under an extended unemployment compensation program enacted by Congress last year, as of April 4, the latest data available. Employers have cut a net total of 5.1 million jobs since the recession began in December 2007.
The Labor Department also reported that mass layoffs, or job cuts of 50 or more by a single employer, increased to 2,933 in March, the most on records dating to 1995. More than 299,000 workers were fired in last month's cuts. The manufacturing sector alone accounted for 1,259 mass layoffs, resulting in nearly 156,000 new jobless claims, also records.
____AP Business Writers Christopher Rugaber and Alan Zibel contributed to this report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV