Court Rules James Hardie Misled Asbestos Victims
SYDNEY (AP) ¿ Ten former officials of building materials giant James Hardie Industries NV misled asbestos victims into believing the company had set aside enough funds for compensation, an Australian civil court ruled Thursday.
Justice Ian Gzell of the New South Wales state Supreme Court said the ten had breached their duties as directors and executives when they announced in February 2001 a fund that would provide certainty of compensation for those sickened by the company's asbestos products.
Two years later, it was found the fund had a shortfall of more than 1 billion Australian dollars ($710 million).Gzell said the company's announcement "was expressed in too emphatic terms" and criticized the board members for failing to correct the misleading information or inform the Australian Stock Exchange. No ruling has yet been made on penalties. The civil case was filed by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission. It is seeking maximum fines of $200,000 Australian dollars ($141,670) against the 10 former James Hardie officials, and disqualification from managing a company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV