World Stocks Drop After US Jobless News
Japanese shares fell before rebounding to trade higher, with the Nikkei 225 average closing up 119.71 points, or 1.4 percent, to 8,847.01. Hong Kong's Hang Seng was up 2.3 percent at 15,214.46, and South Korea's Kospi added 0.9 percent to 1368.80. Elsewhere, markets in Australia and Singapore pushed higher. India's Sensex added 1.8 percent. Shanghai's main index was little changed with a 0.1 percent gain.
Oil prices were little changed, with benchmark crude for June delivery down 7 cents at $48.78 a barrel.
The dollar fell to 97.83 yen from 98.03 yen, while the euro rose to $1.3061 from $1.3035.
___AP Business Writer Jeremiah Marquez in Hong Kong contributed to this report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV