World Stocks Drop After US Jobless News
David Jones, chief market strategist at IG Index, thinks the market is awaiting a significant event to signal that either the end of the recession is truly in sight, or that the bottom seen in March was just a temporary stop before the next plunge.
"With a couple of weeks till the release of the next set of unemployment numbers out of the U.S., it looks like the jury could still be out for some time yet," he said.
Swiss bank Credit Suisse AG ignited some hopes Thursday that the banks can quickly recover after it reported a first-quarter net profit of 2 billion Swiss francs ($1.72 billion), following a turnaround in its investment bank, which had previously been hit hard by the credit crunch. The figure was better than analysts' expectations for a net profit of up to 1 billion francs and compared with a net loss of 2.15 billion francs in the same quarter last year.
Earlier, Asia's markets advanced but trade was cautious amid ongoing worries about banks following Morgan Stanley's results. Reports that Nomura Holdings, Japan's leading brokerage, has incurred a record net loss of 700 billion yen ($7 billion) in the last fiscal year did not help change that view.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV