World Stocks Drop After US Jobless News
LONDON (AP) ¿ European and U.S. stock markets fell Thursday after disappointing U.S. jobless claims data offset any cheer generated by upbeat earnings from technology firm Apple Inc. and Swiss bank Credit Suisse AG.
The FTSE 100 index of leading British shares closed down 12.43 points, or 0.3 percent, at 4,018.23, while France's CAC-40 fell 16.62 points, or 0.6 percent, to 3,008.62. Germany's DAX was 56.21 points, or 1.2 percent, lower at 4,538.21.
In the U.S., the Dow Jones industrial average was down 74.55 points, or 1 percent, at 7,812.02, while the broader Standard & Poor's 500 index fell 7.21 points, or 0.9 percent, to 836.34.Optimism in the markets had been elevated in the run-up to the U.S. open by the news that iPhone sales helped lift first quarter profit at Apple by a higher than anticipated 15 percent, but that dried up after the Labor Department reported that new U.S. jobless claims rose to 640,000 last week, above analysts' expectations of 635,000. Corporate news elsewhere in the U.S. was mixed. Though eBay Inc., defense contractor Raytheon Co. and PNC Financial Services, did better than expected, UPS Inc., the world's largest shipping carrier, and cigarette maker Philip Morris International Inc. delivered lower than anticipated earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV