In February, Standard & Poor's downgraded Weyerhaeuser's credit rating to "BBB-minus," one step above junk status, from "BBB," compounding its woes.
The company had negative cash flow for the past two quarters, a trend that will likely continue, said S&P credit analyst Pamela Rice in a report. The 109-year-old firm's 5.7 million acres of forest and other assets "should allow them to weather the remainder of the housing downturn," she said.
Investors have questioned whether Weyerhaeuser should convert into a real estate investment trust, or REIT. The arrangement would force the company to pay 90% of its income to shareholders as dividends. The company would benefit by reducing its taxes.
While rivals Plum Creek Timber (PCL), Rayonier (RYN) and Potlatch (PCH) have taken that route, some analysts question whether the move would help Weyerhaeuser. If the company was to become a REIT, it would have to meet asset and income regulations that might strain its resources or prove too restrictive.Weyerhaeuser has a few factors working in its favor. The company reduced its debt by 19% last year to $6 billion and boosted its cash to $2.29 billion. It has been closing factories and laying off workers to cut costs. Those improvements might help Weyerhaeuser short-term, but the company will continue to suffer until consumers start buying new homes again. We've assigned the company a D grade, a recommendation to "sell." TheStreet.com Ratings, recently cited for Best Stock Selection from October 2007 through February 2009 , is an independent research provider that combines fundamental and technical analysis to offer investors tremendous value in volatile times. To see how your portfolio can use this research, click here now!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV