"There's a new clientele of young, affluent people who come to Atlantic City and Las Vegas not to gamble, but to go to the spas," says Eugene Christiansen, chief executive officer of Christiansen Capital Advisors, a Maine-based consulting firm for the leisure industry.
Companies such as Wynn Resorts (WYNN), MGM Mirage (MGM) and Las Vegas Sands (LVS) have spent millions to create state-of-the-art spas that offer infinity pools, massage treatments and Pilates studios. The casino operators are offering spa packages that include hotel stays to lure more customers now that gamblers are booking fewer trips to Las Vegas and Atlantic City, New Jersey.
"Spas are a better draw than restaurants, because most major cities have good dining," Christiansen says.Here are a few upscale spas to check out: Immersion Spa, Atlantic City: Last year, MGM Mirage and Boyd Gaming Corp. (ticker: BYD) opened Immersion (http://www.thewaterclubhotel.com/spa/), a full-service spa spanning two floors in The Water Club, the companies' new $400 million hotel. For $348, you can sign up for the Serenity Immersion Spa package, which includes one night of lodging, an 80-minute massage or facial and access to the hotel's 80-foot lap pool and fitness center. If you have $200 to spare, try the 105-minute "Slimming Detox Ritual," one of the spa's specialties, which includes a massage the spa says will help customers look more slender. Qua Baths & Spa, Atlantic City and Las Vegas: Qua Baths & Spa at the Caesars resorts in Atlantic City and Las Vegas offers Roman-style baths, saunas and tearooms. Guests at Qua Baths & Spa can choose from a selection of treatments, which range from a 50-minute "Classic Massage" for $140 to the $5,000 "Dieci Mani" treatment that includes a 180-minute Roman bath, facial and massage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV