Moody's Cuts BB&T Ratings One Notch
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Moody's Investors Service late Tuesday downgraded the ratings of BB&T Corp. due to concern about the regional bank's significant exposure to weakening commercial and residential real estate loans.
Moody's cut the holding company's long-term ratings by one notch to "A1" from "Aa3," and the bank financial strength rating of its operating bank and thrift to "B'' from "B+."
The long-term debt and deposit ratings of the lead bank and its smaller thrift were affirmed at "Aa2." The outlook on the investment-grade ratings is negative.
The ratings action was a result of Moody's belief that the bank's real estate portfolio will continue to come under pressure as the housing market and the broader economy remain weak.Moody's expects BB&T to cut its dividend if credit deteriorates further. But even if the bank reduces its dividend, rising credit costs could hurt BB&T's capital position this year, the ratings service said. Still, Moody's said the bank is strong enough to absorb several billion dollars of additional credit costs over a 12 to 18 month period without further negative rating pressure. On Friday, the Winston-Salem, N.C.-based bank posted a 37 percent drop in first-quarter profit, as loans that were overdue or written off as unpaid surged and the bank set aside more money to cover souring credit. But the results beat Wall Street's expectations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV