Dole Claims Fraud In Nicaragua Banana Worker Suits
LOS ANGELES (AP) ¿ Two men with cloaked identities testified on videotape Tuesday that they were recruited by lawyers in Nicaragua to fraudulently claim they were rendered sterile by pesticides used on Dole Fresh Fruit Co. banana plantations.
The men said they never worked on plantations and that the lawyers gave them information to make up stories in hopes of collecting millions of dollars in lawsuits.
The videotapes of the two men and depositions of plaintiffs in pending California lawsuits were presented by Dole attorneys at a hearing before a judge hearing those cases.Attorney Scott Edelman said at the hearing that witnesses fear being killed, and Superior Court Judge Victoria G. Chaney said she was concerned for the safety of investigators and attorneys and feared obstruction of justice and interference with due process. The videotaped witnesses appeared as shadowy forms and were referred to as John Doe 10 and John Doe 16 by attorneys. One said he rejected an offer of $25,000 to $30,000 to participate while the other said he went along and was given many training sessions to prepare for suing Dole.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV