Capital City Bank's 1Q Profit Tumbles 91 Percent
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) ¿ Capital City Bank Group Inc. said Monday its first-quarter profit plummeted 91 percent due to a sharp rise in loan-loss provisions and a decline in interest income.
Net income for the quarter ended March 31 fell to $650,000, or 4 cents per share, from $7.3 million, or 42 cents per share, during the same quarter last year.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters, on average, forecast a loss of 3 cents per share for the quarter.
Tallahassee, Fla.-based Capital City Bank more than doubled its provision for loan losses in the first quarter to $8.4 million from $4.1 million during the first quarter last year. Capital City Bank's increase in loss reserves was tied primarily to three real estate loans.Nearly all banks across the country are facing mounting loan losses as more customers fall behind on payments amid rising unemployment and an ongoing recession. Capital City Bank's charge-off rate, which measure the amount of loans written off as not being repaid compared with the total loan portfolio, grew to 1.08 percent in the first quarter from 0.41 percent during the same period last year. The charge-off rate, however, declined from the fourth quarter, when it totaled 1.24 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV