Even though Southwest (LUV) has expanded the range of airports it is willing to serve, some prominent airports still don't make the cut.
Long known for avoiding both congested airports and other carriers' fortress hubs, Southwest has made a U-turn this year. It will add New York LaGuardia in June and Boston Logan in August, after starting Minneapolis service in March.
But CEO Gary Kelly said on a recent earnings conference call that four airports - Chicago O'Hare, Dallas-Fort Worth International, Miami International and Washington's Reagan National -- are not on the carrier's current list.
In the past, Southwest would not have been expected to serve any of the four. But today, with congested and hub airports on the table, their exclusion becomes noteworthy. In the case of Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth and Miami, it reflects proximity to key Southwest outposts at Chicago Midway, Love Field in Dallas and Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport.Regarding National, Kelly said Southwest has served Baltimore for 16 years and Washington Dulles for three. "In terms of thinking about Baltimore-Washington, we're very happy with our service level there," he said As for LaGuardia, Logan and Minneapolis, Kelly acknowledged: "We've certainly tried to break through some paradigms. "We can think about those opportunities in 2009 and have them make sense when they wouldn't have as late as 1999. We now carry more passengers than any other U.S. airline (and) we have a very strong, very well-known brand with customers who love us and would prefer to fly on us."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV