Convertible bonds are debt instruments that can be turned into stock when they rise to a certain price. As a company's shares rise, its convertible bonds will trade more like the stock. If the shares drop, the convertible acts more like a bond.
The fund holds 36 of the 135 holdings in the Barclays Capital U.S. Convertible Bond >$500MM Index, which was built with $6 million of seed money from State Street. A Transocean (RIG) bond is the largest holding at 7% of the fund, followed by an EMC (EMC) issue with a 6.7% weighting.Even though the chances of Transocean defaulting in the next few months are remote, investors should note the fund's high concentration. But those large positions will shrink as new money flows into the fund, causing it to look more like the underlying index. Overconcentration is a potential pitfall of fixed income products. The bear market crushed funds that owned too many financial services bonds, for example. The SPDR Barclays fund doesn't make huge sector bets. Bonds from technology companies make up 23% of the fund, followed by 19% in healthcare and 17% in energy. Financials only comprise 10%. Convertible bonds aren't typically the highest-quality debt. A third of the fund's holdings have junk-level credit ratings and another 12% aren't rated. The average rating of the fund's holdings is Baa1, "investment grade" by Moody's (MDY) standards.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV