Duckwall-ALCO Stores Posts Loss In Fiscal 4Q
ABILENE, Kan. (AP) ¿ Discount store operator Duckwall-ALCO Stores Inc. reported a loss in its fiscal fourth quarter due to a charge for transforming its stores and a decline in sales at established locations.
After the market closed Thursday, the company said it had a loss of $715,000, or 19 cents per share, compared with a profit of $1.1 million, or 27 cents per share in the prior year quarter.
The company said excluding discontinued operations, it had a loss of 17 cents per share in the quarter ended Feb. 1.
Duckwall-ALCO said its results were affected by a charge of $1.3 million for its store transformation project ¿ the company's plan to cut operating costs and improve store-level efficiencies.Revenue fell 5 percent to $140.1 million from $147.1 million. Same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least a year, fell 3.3 percent, excluding the company's two fuel centers. Customer counts, meanwhile, fell nearly 14 percent at stores open at least a year. For the year, the company reported a loss of $5 million, or $1.30 per share, compared with a loss of $224,000, or 5 cents per share in the prior year. Revenue rose to $490 million from $481.8 million. Shares were unchanged at $10 in morning trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV