Five Steps to Take After Filing Your Taxes
Most people view taxes as an annual event, but it takes year-round effort to hold on to your hard-earned cash.
Here are five steps to take after you file your taxes:
Get organized: Make a list of all the documents you need to save each year. Set aside a file or box where you can put all your tax-related papers. Sort and categorize your documents so they're easy to find when it's time to file. Having all your paperwork on hand will save you stress, prevent mistakes and help you file faster.
Change your tax withholding: The Internal Revenue Service says most taxpayers will receive refunds of more than $2,800 this year. That's like giving the government an interest-free loan. That money could have earned interest in a bank account instead.Anyone who receives a large refund should consider changing the amount an employer withholds from his paycheck. Many people treat their taxes as a saving strategy, a way to force themselves to save. It's time to rethink that approach. You place yourself at the mercy of the government when you let it hold on to money you're owed. Budget crises recently prompted several states to delay the release of tax refunds because the state lacked the money to pay them. Improve your tax knowledge: You probably missed out on deductions this year because you lacked the proper paperwork or didn't know you qualified. This year, consider taking a tax-preparation course. If you don't have time for a class, meet with an accountant who could suggest ways to cut your future taxes. The information you get will be worth the fee.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV