What AMR Says About the Economy
The AMR (AMR) earnings call offered these insights into the economy's future: Things are not getting worse, and the CEO is optimistic.
Historically, airlines are a lagging indicator, but the numbers from American seem to support the widespread belief that the economy has hit bottom and now awaits an upturn that, at the moment, is not imminent.
"We're not seeing further deterioration
CFO Tom Horton said the carrier's first-quarter loss was less than what it expected a month ago, thanks to "close-in traffic build," which boosted revenue. "It's too early to tell whether that portends a positive trend," he said.During the quarter, mainline passenger revenue per available seat mile fell by 8.7%, and yield, representing average fares paid, fell by 4.5%, the first year-over-year decrease following 15 consecutive quarters of increases. However, the late improvement helped American beat analyst estimates for earnings and revenue, driving a 19% jump in the carrier's share price. Arpey indicated he personally is optimistic. He quoted Federal Reserve Board Chairman Ben Bernanke as saying, "I am fundamentally optimistic about the economy -- we face no problems that cannot be overcome with insight, patience and persistence." Arpey added: "That's kind of consistent with what my gut tells me about the U.S. economy."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV