By Jon "DRJ" Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster.
Normal call activity for McDermott in the 30 days has been 5,100 contracts for a full session, but today some 22,400 contracts traded in the first 30 minutes alone, according to OptionMonster's real-time tracking systems. The feeding frenzy saw 8,500 calls change hands at the May 20 strike against open interest of just 1,506.
McDermott shares are up nearly 5% on the session to $16.68 in midday trading.McDermott works in offshore oil and gas construction and power generation. The space has been hot lately, especially with interest in Calpin (CPN) and Mirant (MIR) in the power industry and Halliburton (HAL) in oil and gas. Some of today's chatter has McDermott and PetroChina in late-stage acquisition talks. The writer has long positions in McDermott.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV