Analyst Sees 1Q Below Expectations For Some
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) ¿ First-quarter results for some industrial companies will be below expectations as there was little economic improvement in March, an analyst said Wednesday.
However, Yvonne M. Varano of Jefferies & Co. said in a note to investors that shares of several industrial companies have increased recently due to rising optimism and institutional investors seeking opportunities.
"We believe the run-up in many industrial related shares in recent weeks has as much to do with increased optimism as with the need of institutional investors to get off the sidelines and put money to work," Varano said.
Varano said several broad indicators "are showing signs of leveling off, potentially indicating a bottom.""A definite uptick, however, is yet to be evident," she said. In addition, she said demand still is generally weak. "While stimulus spending, easing of credit and destocking of inventories should provide a boost in the back-half of the year, we believe that some expectations surrounding a better second half of 2009 may still be aggressive."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV