In other tech news, Lee noted that eBay (EBAY) plans to spin off Skype in an IPO in 2010.
Goldman called it the "worst-kept secret in tech land." He said the IPO's great for eBay's shareholders because Skype has been a non-performing asset.
Lee shifted the discussion to the financial stocks which led the market down. Seymour the action was expected because it would have been difficult for the other financials to top the earnings of Goldman Sachs (GS), and "that's what the Street did today."
Lee said it appeared the financials were reverting to an old trading pattern where Goldman "would knock the cover off," only to be followed by a pullback by the rest of the group.Lee said the Citigroup (C), up 2%, was the only financial winner. Finerman, though, called the stock a "fake winner." Finerman said what happened today was a "gigantic short squeeze." "There's an interesting arbitrage going with the convertible stock which the TARP owns some and the public owns a lot," she said. "The convert will be converted into new Citigroup shares, but you can't borrow Citigroup shares because of the squeeze." Finerman said the convert has jumped from 18 cents on the dollar when the deal was announced to 112 cents on the dollar at noon today. She said it's interesting this squeeze is happening to an American icon like Citigroup. Lee brought in Brad Hintz, a brokerage analyst with Sanford Bernstein, who said Goldman's recent earnings report demonstrated its success in playing the slow improvement of the credit markets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV