H. Rodgin Cohen is one of the most active and influential bank merger attorneys in the world, offering the Sullivan & Cromwell partner a unique view of the wreckage the credit crisis has reaped across the sector and economy.
Last year alone, Cohen worked on several multibillion dollar deals involving Goldman Sachs (GS), JPMorgan Chase (JPM), AIG (AIG), Barclays (BCS), Morgan Stanley (MS), Wells Fargo (WFC) and PNC Financial Services Group (PNC) among other large institutions. He was considered a candidate to serve as one of Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner's deputies, but eventually dropped out, according to several reports last month.
Cohen spoke with TheStreet.com last week. He declined to discuss his candidacy for the Treasury position and several matters affecting current clients.
TheStreet.com: What do you think of the Obama administration's handling of the crisis so far?Cohen: When you consider the depth and breadth of the crisis, I think the administration has moved with both alacrity and comprehensiveness to deal with the issues. Inevitably in a situation like this not every decision will be the right decision, but the way they have attacked the problem I think is exactly what the problem requires.
|H. Rodgin Cohen|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV