Illinois' banking industry is less consolidated than some other northern states with large populations, which may have contributed to the failures. New York, for example, had only 203 banks and thrifts chartered with the state as of Dec. 31. Illinois' heavy concentration in manufacturing and its proximity to the troubled Michigan market also creates a hurdle for its banks and thrifts.
To be sure, 80 of 658 Illinois banks and thrifts reporting as of Dec. 31 were assigned financial strength ratings of B-plus (Good Financial Strength) or higher by TheStreet.com Ratings.
Highest gradesThe following is a list of 48 institutions rated A-minus (Excellent Financial Strength) or higher. The list is sorted by rating, and then by total assets. Ratings are based on ratios and other data derived from regulatory filings, with capital adequacy, asset quality and profitability carrying the most weight.
Larger institutionsMost of the institutions rated A-minus or higher are relatively small, as these are the banks and thrifts most likely to maintain higher capital ratios. The following list includes the same ratios and ratings for the 10 largest Illinois banks and S&Ls:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV