Updated from 9:18 a.m. EDT
Shares of Dendreon (DNDN) soared Tuesday after the company said its prostate cancer vaccine Provenge significantly prolonged the overall survival of patients compared to a placebo.
The Seattle-based drugmaker said the phase III study of Provenge, known as IMPACT, met its primary endpoint with statistical significance. Details of the study are being withheld so that they can be presented at a medical conference April 28.
Dendreon shares were rising 175% to $20.10 in recent trading."Survival is the gold standard outcome for oncology clinical trials, and overall survival was the primary endpoint of the IMPACT trial. The positive results from this landmark study provide confirmatory evidence demonstrating that treatment with PROVENGE may prolong survival," said Dendreon CEO Mitch Gold, in a statement. The company plans to submit the new Provenge data to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in the fourth quarter. Assuming a six-month review, an approval decision could come in the second quarter of next year. The IMPACT study enrolled 512 men with advanced prostate cancer who no longer responded to hormone therapy. The primary endpoint of the study was to determine whether treatment with Provenge prolonged overall survival of patients compared to a placebo. On a conference call Tuesday morning, Gold said that the Provenge results from the IMPACT study were "unambiguous" and "consistent" with previous studies of the cancer vaccine. The IMPACT study was designed to reduce the risk of death in prostate cancer patients by 22%. Previous studies of Provenge showed the drug to prolong survival by 4.5 months over placebo.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV