Getting the Most From Job, Debt Advisers
June Walbert, a financial planner with USAA Financial Planning Services, says consumers must be careful if they're considering spending money on career or debt advisers. Here's how to get the most for your money:
Finding a new job: Walbert says job hunters should consider spending money on improving their resumes. The average person makes many simple mistakes, such as crafting resumes that are too long or highlighting the wrong work experience. Those missteps aren't looked upon favorably by potential employers. Working with a resume expert can cost $150 or more, but Walbert says it's worth it.
"A resume is a first snapshot that a potential, and hopefully future, employer will have of you," she says. "You need to make it a quick, accurate and compelling picture."If your new resume gets you in the door, a day-long interview course could help you make the best impression when you meet with potential employers. These workshops will teach you how to answer common interview questions and improve your conversation skills. "This type of training can help you shorten your answers and give them more impact," Walbert says. She recommends avoiding recruiting and job placement firms that charge fees upfront. Instead, tap your network of friends and former colleagues. Web sites such as LinkedIn and Facebook make it easy to reconnect with old co-workers. As you spread the word about your job search, be specific about the kinds of jobs you're looking for and where you're willing to work, Walbert says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV