Textron Shares Up On Takeover Rumors
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) ¿ Shares of Textron Inc. soared more than 50 percent Thursday on heightened speculation the manufacturer will be purchased.
Published reports said a group of United Arab Emirates companies and a Kuwaiti firm are offering $21 per share for the Providence, R.I., company that manufactures Bell helicopters, Cessna jets and turf-maintenance equipment. Kuwait newspaper Al-Watan Daily, citing unidentified sources, reported the possible offer earlier.
The jump in the share price followed seven days of increases for Textron speculation that it would be bought by Lockheed Martin Corp. or Raytheon Co.Representatives of Lockheed Martin and Raytheon have said the two companies would not comment on rumors or speculation. Andrew Wilkinson, senior market analyst at Interactive Brokers Group in Greenwich, Conn., said the significant increase Thursday indicates a possible deal may be more than a rumor. "There's got to be something to it," he said. "It's well-placed speculation." Still, Wilkinson said there may be questions about a consortium of Middle Eastern companies buying the manufacturer of helicopters that are supplied to the U.S. military. He cited opposition in 2006 to Dubai-owned DP World's plan to run several U.S. ports.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV