A short squeeze takes place when short-sellers scramble to cover their bearish positions on optimism or any positive catalyst, driving the price of stocks up sharply. The metric for measuring short-squeeze opportunities is the short ratio, which is the number of days it would take the short-sellers to cover their positions based on recent average daily volume.
Citigroup isn't the only stock that has short-covering upside potential. With this in mind, Stockpickr has compiled a portfolio of the top S&P 500 short-squeeze plays.
To read more, visit Stockpickr.com.Who's on Stockpickr Answers? David Peltier will be on Stockpickr Answers on April 9 to respond to investing and trading questions posed by members of the Stockpickr community. Not a member? Join the Stockpickr community today -- free.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV