Buffett Watch: Moody's Cuts Rating
Berkshire Hathaway Assurance Corp., Columbia Insurance Co., General Reinsurance Corp. and Government Employees Insurance Company (GEICO) were other insurance companies affected by the downgrade.
In his annual letter to investors from late February, Buffett acknowledged Berkshire's $7.5 billion investment and derivative losses, but said the U.S. still had its best days ahead of it.
"Though the path has not been smooth, our economic system has worked extraordinarily well over time," Buffett wrote. "It has unleashed human potential as no other system has, and it will continue to do so.
Moody's said it could further downgrade Berkshire if it took on more risk, experienced continued losses in insurance underwriting, investments or derivatives that cause a 20% in shareholder equity or a "material decline" in operating cash flow.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV