Tech Alert: Nokia Jumps Into Touchscreens
Updated from 6 a.m. EDT
Nokia (NOK) has finally embraced the touchscreen movement.
The Finnish phone titan has plans to introduce three devices that feature big touchscreens and so-called Qwerty keypads, according to industry sources, say analysts.
One of the new models to be rolled out over the next 12 months has a 4.2-inch touchscreen and a "hidden slide-out keyboard," and is considered a mobile Internet device or tablet. The device is targeted for introduction in the fourth quarter before Christmas.The second device is called project Nautilus, and it apparently emphasizes a very slim touchscreen design. A sensor is used to extend or withdraw the keyboard into the phone. The keypad is said to be ultrathin, but when it slides out the Qwerty keys rise for easier typing. The first Nautilus phone isn't due for another year. And as TheStreet reported Wednesday, the first of the new Nokia smartphones due out next quarter will feature a vibration technology from Immersion (IMMR) to help make typing on touchscreens more lifelike. Nokia is expected to introduce three phones with the Immersion technology as early as this fall, according to these sources. After losing a big chunk of the lucrative smartphone business last year to Research In Motion (RIMM) and Apple (AAPL), Nokia seems determined to recapture its old glory through new designs and products. Nokia's worldwide smartphone suffered a 17% drop last year, falling to 40.8% in the fourth quarter from 50.9% in the year-ago period. Nokia, as we reported Monday, also has plans to enter the red-hot netbook market by partnering with its original design manufacturing partner Foxconn.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV