ITG Shares Fall As Commission Margins Tighten
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of Investment Technology Group tumbled Wednesday, undermined by a March drop in its average commission rate that pressured margins, and a subsequent analyst downgrade.
Shares of ITG, which provides electronic trading and brokerage services, tumbled $5.76, or 21.6 percent, to $20.92 in afternoon trading. Shares have traded between $13 and $53.35 during the past year.
Howard Naphtali, ITG's chief financial officer, said in a statement earlier Wednesday that full-service institutional clients cut back on business, while direct market access clients increased trading. The shift in business mix led to a 17 percent decline in commissions per share, pressuring margins, Naphtali said.
The company also said its non-U.S. revenue was down 17 percent to 19 percent during the first quarter.BMO Capital Markets analyst Michael Vinciquerra cut his rating on ITG to "market perform" from "outperform" based on the weakening commission trends and international revenues. Vinciquerra said the decline in commissions was well below his expectations, falling to about 67 cents per 100 shares versus his model of 79 cents per 100 shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV