Corus Loan Portfolio Deteriorating
Corus Bankshares (CORS) expressed substantial doubt about its viability in a regulatory filing Tuesday, saying more than 50% of its loan portfolio was now considered nonperforming.
Chicago-based Corus reported nonperforming loans of $2.0 billion in its delayed 2008 10-K report, filed with the Securities Exchange Commission after the market close Monday, up from the $1.5 billion reported in its Jan. 30 earnings release.
TheStreet.com noted the company's dim prospects as far back as August 2007, when the company paid a special dividend to shareholders. We noted the threat to the company's dividend on common shares in light of its high exposure to nonperforming condominium loans in some of the areas hit the hardest in the boom-and-bust real estate cycle.
The following shows the holding company's nonperforming assets ratios for the past five quarters:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV