Hedge Funds Find Arb Opportunity in SPACs
In a fact sheet about the fund, which engages in several arbitrage strategies, AQR outlined plans to take advantage of a lack of liquidity in the "thinly traded" SPAC market. A spokesman for AQR says the firm is not concerned that it missed the height of the market last fall, since it expects attractive risk-adjusted returns for some trades.
One investor in the fund, Lee Munson, was excited about the prospects, and the fact that AQR's fees -- which are capped at 1.5% for Class-N shares and 1.2% for Class-I shares -- are much lower than the huge costs assessed by hedge funds when markets were booming.
" I love it because there's none of this two-and-20 crap," says Munson, referring to the 2% management fee and 20% performance fee that hedge funds were known for charging.
Another question lingers for SPAC returns: Whether the M&A and IPO markets will recover any time soon. Schneider says about 740 SPACs trade on the market today, but new launches have slumped significantly as M&A activity seized up amid a lack of financing last year. Most of the few deals announced were voted down by SPAC shareholders. They preferred to reclaim original investments, rather than take a chance of loss in the IPO market.The result was a downward trend in SPAC launches, which started climbing in 2005. That year, the number of launches more than doubled from 12 to 28, and average gross proceeds climbed from $485 million to $2.11 billion, according to SPACAnalytics.com. The market reached a height of 66 SPACs and average gross proceeds of $12.09 billion in 2007, but has since come crashing down to 17 launches and $3.84 billion in proceeds last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV