The RealMoney contributors are in the business of trading and investing all day on the basis of ongoing news flow. Below, we offer the top five ideas that RealMoney contributors posted today and how they played those ideas.
TheStreet.com brings you the news all day, and with RealMoney's "Columnist Conversation," you can see how the pros are playing it on a real-time basis. Here are the top five ideas played today. To see all that RealMoney offers, click here for a free trial.
1. Ford Moving Higher
4/3/2009 12:47 PM EDT
Interesting to see Ford (F) heading higher on heavy volume -- on a flattish day for the Dow. Shares are back to levels briefly touched in early December. You'd have to go back to early October for a time when they were sustainably higher than current levels.I stopped by two Ford dealerships in my area yesterday. Neither salesman I spoke to thought he was seeing a noticeable increase in traffic, and if April sales levels don't show sequential gains from March, then the stock looks ripe for a pullback. Conversely, signs of improvement could lead to short-covering (shares are still heavily shorted). One dealer mentioned that they are not getting many hybrid allotments. Ford is probably losing money on every hybrid it makes, and probably sees the technology as a halo. Indeed the upcoming slate of new models will have "eco-boost" engines that use turbochargers and direct injection and are said to have equivalent horsepower as bigger engines, but with good fuel economy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV