Twitter, the popular microblogging service, has landed squarely in the blogsphere rumor mill with conflicting multiple-source reports and denials that Google (GOOG) in interested in an acquisition.
TechCrunch broke the rumor Thursday, citing "two separate people" who said Google and Twitter were in "late-stage negotiations" on a deal.
That report was followed by a forceful smackdown by The Wall Street Journal's BoomTown blogger Kara Swisher. Citing her own "number of sources" Swisher said the report ""isn't accurate in any way."
The chatter has led to 83 blog postings, at last count on Techmeme, as various Web commentators weighed in on the rumor.The onrush has apparently been overwhelming for Twitter co-founder Biz Stone. Complaining of a "flooded inbox," the Twitterer-in-chief used the white-hot moment under the online media spotlight to vaguely assert that anything is possible. "It should come as no surprise that Twitter engages in discussions with other companies regularly and on a variety of subjects," Stone wrote on the Twitter blog. "Our goal," he continued, "is to build a profitable, independent company and we're just getting started." Twitter straddles three huge tech trends: social networking, mobile messaging and search. That last area is of greatest interest to those looking at Twitter from a speculative Google standpoint. Typically Twitter users send friends personal updates and condensed Web page links. Through keyword searches, people can see some of the traffic related to a topic. This view provides a sort of up to the moment window on fellow Twitterers' interests.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV