Smaller banks are also likely to be acquirers this year.
Nashville, Tenn.-based Pinnacle Financial (PNFP) could be a buyer, Reynolds says.
"The list of the bigger guys doing deals is smaller and shorter," says Anton Schutz, president of Mendon Capital Advisors and the fund manager to Burnham Financial Services. His firm owns shares of People's. "You go into small cap and micro-cap land -- there are guys with big capital ratios, so you could certainly see lots of deals."Still, some big banks like JPMorgan Chase or Wells Fargo, two of the better names in the banking sector throughout the financial crisis, could strike again. "From a scale perspective, what else is out there that is so colossal to be hard for them? They don't have to consolidate it for a while," Schutz says. "I think
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV