Ahead Of The Bell: Navistar Protest
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) ¿ Navistar International Corp.'s protest over a contract evaluation process suggests that it is unlikely the company will win a $3 billion military pact, an analyst said Friday as he downgraded the stock.
Navistar Defense LLC, a part of Navistar International Corp. of Warrenville, Ill., said Thursday it is "in discussions" with the government over a technicality in the evaluation of the Mine Resistant Ambush Protected All Terrain Vehicle program. The company was not specific about the issues being discussed.
Analyst Jerry Revich of Goldman Sachs downgraded the Warrenville, Ill., company to "Neutral" from "Buy" and cut his profit estimate for this year to $2.40 per share from $4.50 per share. For 2010, Revich slashed his estimate to $2.25 per share from $6.60 per share and for 2011, he cut his estimate to $5.25 per share from $7.60.
Revich said in a note to investors that Navistar's protest suggests it is unlikely to win the contract because of the "urgent nature" of the program. It will more likely win a share of the work, he said."We believe that Navistar offers the US military a compelling value proposition driven by its strong manufacturing capability and low cost structure, although the M-ATV dispute suggests its engineering performance on this contract didn't meet the military's expectations," Revich said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV