Potential New Financing For AbititiBowater
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Newsprint maker AbitibiBowater Inc., which earlier this week ended a $1.8 billion refinancing attempt, said Thursday it aims to add two investors to its lending syndicate for a boost to its financing of at least $50 million.
The U.S. company, which has administrative headquarters in Montreal, is talking with its lenders about Steelhead Partners LLC and Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., which have expressed a willingness to contribute at least $50 million of financing for AbitibiBowater's Bowater Inc. unit.
"We believe the additional funds proposed to be made available by Steelhead and Fairfax would provide us with sufficient short-term liquidity while we continue to address our restructuring of Bowater's debt," William G. Harvey, chief financial officer, said in a statement. "The approval from and support of our banks in this process is a crucial step to a successful outcome."
Wednesday, the company terminated an offer to exchange about $1.8 billion in debt for new offerings that carry a higher interest rate. The company did not state why it was withdrawing the offer, but it had extended the deadline several times.AbitibiBowater was created in 2007 in a combination of U.S.-based Bowater and Canada's Abitibi-Consolidated.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV