Cities: Better for Green Living Than Suburbs
Growing towns like Reston, Va., have become more vibrant and attractive with every new restaurant, store or business that moves in. They're filling vacant lots and bringing more services to local residents. In the suburbs, new businesses and malls often replace farms or undeveloped green space.
In my Brooklyn, N.Y., neighborhood, I can find a library, doctor, drugstore, playground and bus stop within a few blocks of my home. It takes longer for some suburbanites to get to the end of their driveways than it takes me to walk to the gym.
At my in-laws' home in Brookfield, Conn., we can't get to a supermarket or gas station without driving 10 to 15 minutes. We usually take a small highway that connects strip malls and big-box stores.
It's great that people are rethinking a way of life that in Leinberger's words "isn't sustainable" environmentally. I just hope developers can find a way to meet the demand for urban housing responsibly.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV