Electro Scientific, Zygo Terminate Buyout Deal
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) ¿ Zygo Corp. will pay a $5.4 million break-up fee to terminate a merger agreement with suitor Electro Scientific Industries Inc., after the value of the all-stock deal declined amid the weaker market.
Zygo, based in Middlefield, Conn., will be required to pay another $1.2 million if its board approves another deal to sell its businesses in the next six months. Zygo makes optical components, inspection and measurement equipment and automation systems.
Electro, which makes test equipment for semiconductor makers, had agreed to buy Zygo in October in an all-stock deal worth about $173.6 million, or $10.30 per share, at the time.
But because Electro's shares have since declined, the deal is now worth about $105.9 million, or $6.29 per share, based on Zygo's 16.8 million outstanding shares as of Nov. 3.Zygo shares rose 55 cents to close earlier at $5.05, while Electro Scientific shares closed up 69 cents at $6.71.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV