In Fargo, Alcohol Sales Rose Along With Red River
FARGO, N.D. (AP) ¿ In the debate over which businesses are essential during an emergency, many local liquor stores and bars had no doubt about where they fell during the Red River flood threat.
"It's been like New Year's Eve," Andy Urton said, manning the counter at Village West Liquors, where he rang up $4,000 in sales in the first two hours he was open one recent day as people lined up to buy beer by the case to fuel sandbagging efforts or 1.75-liter bottles of vodka to ease the aches and stress of flood preparation.
Self-medication with alcohol during crises worries mental health experts, who say it can lead to long-term problems. But in an upper Midwest state where drinking is a popular pastime during the long, cold winters, it only makes sense to some residents."You've got to do it," said Brian Jorgensen, 39. "You kind of hurt at the end of the day." At Main Liquors in West Fargo, manager James Shaffer said liquor and beer flowed out steadily in the days before the Red River crested and receded without widespread damage. The store closed three hours early last Friday, at 10 p.m., because of the flood emergency but still did triple a usual Friday's business.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV