6 Ways to Save Money Everyday
One of the toughest aspects of shrinking your budget is cutting costs from your daily routine. Here are six ways to save money from the moment you wake up:
6. Time your showersLimiting showers to 10 minutes can save you a significant amount over a year. Set a kitchen timer when you shower in the morning. Each extra minute you stay in the shower adds to your water and heat costs.
5. Use fewer personal care productsAdvertisers want us to think that we need all the lotions, conditioners and hygiene products they promote. But we don't. In fact, we often use too much of even basic toiletries, such as toothpaste and shampoo. Using a little less shampoo each time you shower will stretch your supply.
4. Make your own breakfastSome people try to save by skipping breakfast, but this tactic usually leaves them hungrier and more likely to spend money on snacks. Make time to prepare a healthy breakfast in the morning at home and vending-machine food will be less tempting.
3. Brew your coffeeYou hear this tip time and again, but it's one that proves the point that small purchases can add up quickly over time. A $4 cup of premium coffee a day can add up to more than $1,000 over a year. Think of the amount you'll save by filling a thermos with coffee at home each day.
2. Brown bag your own lunchBringing your own lunch, whether it's a sandwich or leftovers, will cost less than buying a meal. Making time to prepare your lunch might seem difficult at first, but once it becomes a habit, you'll wonder why you didn't do it before.
1. Commute earlyYou waste time and money when you get stuck in traffic during your commute to work. Avoiding rush hour will help you get to work faster and keep you from wasting gas while idling in traffic.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV