Fallen Star SGI To Sell Most Assets For $25M
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) ¿ Silicon Graphics Inc. will sell the remaining shreds of its fraying franchise to Rackable Systems Inc. for $25 million, punctuating the downfall of a former high-tech star that once dazzled investors and customers with the prowess of its fancy computers.
The proposed dismantling was announced after Silicon Graphics ¿ also known as SGI ¿ filed for bankruptcy protection for the second time in less than three years. The deal with Rackable Systems, covering most of Silicon Graphics' assets, is supposed to be completed within the next two months.
The acquisition won't include $562 million in debt that Silicon Graphics listed in a bankruptcy petition filed in New York federal court. The Sunnyvale-based company valued its assets at $390 million.Silicon Graphics shares plunged 23 cents, or 56 percent, to close Wednesday at 18 cents while Rackable Systems shares shed 18 cents, or 4.4 percent, to finish at $3.88. In bankruptcy court documents, Silicon Graphics said it had been scrambling to find a buyer for months, but couldn't locate a mate even after contacting about 150 potential suitors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV