Colonial Capital Infusion Remains in Doubt
Moody's Investors Service on Wednesday downgraded Colonial because of the threat to the deal being consummated, "heightened by the current challenging environment for obtaining such financing." The rating agency downgraded its financial strength rating for Colonial Bank to E+ from D, and long-term bank deposits rating to B1 from Ba2.
"The downgrade reflects its opinion that, given the likely credit costs in the bank's commercial real estate portfolio, there is a significant risk of the firm becoming undercapitalized, absent a substantial capital injection," Moody's said. The ratings remain on review with direction uncertain, pending the outcome of the capital raise, it said.
Colonial was roundly criticized after the company disclosed on Jan. 27 that its approval to receive $553 million in TARP funds -- announced on Dec. 2 -- was contingent upon Colonial first raising $300 million privately.
The rancor was compounded when Colonial CEO Robert Lowder was less than forthcoming about a Dec. 15 memorandum of understanding the company entered into with Alabama bank regulators.According to the company's fourth-quarter conference call transcript, Lowder said "we are under no C&D
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV