Undercapitalized Banks and Thrifts
This story originally posted on RealMoney.com on Tuesday, March 31. For more information about subscribing to RealMoney, please click here.
The ranks of undercapitalized banks continue to grow.
The full set of finalized regulatory data for the fourth quarter is available for all U.S. banks and savings and loans, and TheStreet.com Ratings has updated its list of undercapitalized institutions. Since our preliminary lists of undercapitalized banks and thrifts were published on Feb. 20, five more banks filed finalized call reports showing they were undercapitalized as of Dec. 31.
One bank has been removed from the list. Finalized call report numbers for Warren Bank of Warren, Mich. include a total risk-based capital ratio of 8.04% as of Dec. 31, putting the institution into the adequately capitalized category.Under normal regulatory capital guidelines, a bank or thrift needs to have a tier-1 leverage ratio of at least 5%, a tier-1 risk-based capital ratio of at least 6% and a total risk-based capital ratio of at least 10%. To be considered adequately capitalized, these ratios need to be 4%, 4% and 8%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV