Watch Out for These Home-Selling Tricks
Wet grass: Sometimes a home's yard might be wet when you arrive, which helps give the grass an attractive sheen. Take a moment and make sure all areas of the lawn are wet. Dry patches could indicate problems with automatic sprinklers.
Mood-setting music: It's pretty common for real estate agents to play light music during an open house. However, if you're near an airport or a busy highway, ask if the stereo can be turned down to see if the noise is bothersome.
Clean carpets: If the carpets are fairly new and in good shape, the owners probably had them cleaned before the open house. If they aren't nice, sellers won't want to put money into cleaning them since a new buyer will probably replace them anyway. If you think you would keep the carpets if you bought the home, inspect them closely. Any stains still visible after a cleaning probably won't ever come out.
Plant patrol: If you see potted plants stationed strategically outside a house where flowers and shrubbery would normally go, be a little suspicious. Sometimes this is done to give the yard a fresh look, but it could also indicate soil problems or a lack of sunlight.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV