The sputtering auto giant General Motors (GM)hit the stock search list as one CEO is fired and another takes over.
New GM CEO Fritz Henderson suggested that bankruptcy was possible and that more than five plants could be closed.
With the market rebounding, the safe haven play on gold softened. But gold futures never broke below $900 and seem to be modestly moving up .Financials remain in the top 10 list with changes in FASB accounting standards expected this week. Bank of America (BAC) would be affected by the change as it would be able to reassess the value of its portfolio. Wells Fargo (WFC)is another bank that may benefit from the accounting change. Citigroup (C) reached a settlement to buy back $3.2 billion in auction rate securities from customers. The product was billed as safe, but then became illiquid when the market froze. AIG (AIG) can't seem to stay out of trouble. The beleaguered insurer is under investigation by 50 different state insurance regulators looking into worker compensation premiums. GE Healthcare a unit of General Electric (GE) announced the positive results of study involving nuclear imaging test for heart patients. Top ten list favorite Apple (AAPL) may benefit from a new Intel chip. And finally, Philip Morris (MO) lost its bid for the Supreme Court to rule on a 10 year old case. The smoker stands to win many millions of dollars versus the original judgment that was less than $1 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV