StealthGas Delays Delivery Of 5 Gas Ships
DALLAS (AP) ¿ StealthGas Inc. said Tuesday it delayed delivery of five ships used to carry liquefied natural gas, and separately it claimed that a customer improperly ended a contract to use one of its ships.
The Greece-based company said it won't take delivery of any new ships next year and postponed five deliveries to 2011 and 2012 after negotiations with the builder. StealthGas said it incurred no cost with the delays.
The global economic slowdown has hurt shipping, reducing the demand to transport goods and making it harder to finance fleet expansion.
Last fall, StealthGas had one of the largest backlogs of ships under order, at 24 in shipyards across Asia. But Harry Vafias, who heads the company, complained then that banks weren't providing financing, forcing shippers to use their own money.Also on Tuesday, StealthGas said that Societa Cooperative di Navigazione a.r.l. "improperly terminated" a charter to use the Gas Ice. StealthGas said it was exploring all legal options and has had ships owned or controlled by the Italian company arrested to secure payment for the termination.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV