These ratios need to be at least 5% and 10% for a bank or thrift to be considered well-capitalized under regulatory guidelines. They need to be at least 4% and 8% for an institution to be considered adequately capitalized.
For FirstCity, there were other indications of major problems, since the institution's ratio of nonperforming assets to total assets was 20.41% as of Dec. 31. This was the first failed institution during the 2008-2009 crisis for which the FDIC was unable to find a buyer for deposits and branches, with the main reason being that nearly all of FirstCity's deposits had been made through brokers.
Banks with High Levels of Problem Loans
Thirty-three Georgia banks and thrifts had nonperforming asset ratios above 10%, a sign of trouble for most banks. Not surprisingly, TheStreet.com Ratings has assigned nearly all the institutions on this list ratings of D (weak) or below.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV