A growing number of Peach State banks are the pits.
Few states have been hit harder by the economic crisis over the past seven months than Georgia, where many banks are now paying for large bets made on construction loans during the building boom in the Atlanta metropolitan area. Omni National Bank of Atlanta on Friday became the state's ninth since the beginning of 2008, the most in the nation during that time.
All nine Georgia bank failures have taken place since Aug. 29. The nine failed Georgia banks had $4.7 billion total assets and the estimated cost to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.'s insurance fund for the failures was $1.4 billion.
There's a lot more trouble ahead. TheStreet.com Ratings' analysis of Dec. 31 financial information for Georgia's 331 banks and thrifts shows that there are over 30 institutions in a weakened condition.Three of the four Georgia banks that have failed so far during 2009 were undercapitalized under ordinary regulatory guidelines as of Dec. 31. Four other Georgia banks and thrifts were undercapitalized by regulatory standards as of Dec. 31 data. TheStreet.com Ratings has assigned E- (very weak) financial strength ratings to each of them.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV