The Bonanza Calls of Biotech Select
It's tough to notch a double-digit gain on a stock in this market, but I'm thrilled to let you in on a little secret: Our subscribers to TheStreet.com Biotech Select have been guided to three double-digit calls within the last six months, courtesy of Adam Feuerstein, our in-house portfolio manager who runs the Biotech Select service.
On Sept. 24, Feuerstein added ImmunoGen (IMGN) to the model portfolio of Biotech Select when its stock was selling at $4.90 a share. ImmunoGen is now at $7.01 a share, delivering a 43% total return to Biotech Select subscribers. Feuerstein knew that ImmunoGen is developing a second-generation version of the blockbuster breast cancer drug Herceptin in partnership with Roche. Early data on the drug has been very positive, which sparked Roche to accelerate its development.
On Oct. 8, Feuerstein added Optimer Pharmaceuticals (OPTR) to the Biotech Select model portfolio when it was trading at $6.50 a share. Optimer Pharmaceuticals closed recently at $12.90 a share, delivering a 98.5% total return so far to Biotech Select subscribers. Feuerstein added Optimer to the model portfolio because of the company's experimental drug OPT-80, a more effective and convenient antibiotic to target Clostridum difficile. (C. diff is a bacterial super bug that causes severe abdominal pain, bloating and diarrhea and can sometimes be fatal.) Soon after Feuerstein added Optimer to the model portfolio, its shares took off when the company reported positive phase III clinical trial results for OPT-80.On Jan. 20, Feuerstein added CV Therapeutics (CVTX) to the Biotech Select model portfolio when it was trading at $10.75 a share. Two months later, Feuerstein closed the position when Gilead Sciences (GILD) announced a $20-per-share buyout of CV Therapeutics. The stock produced an 86% return for Biotech Select subscribers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV