The Stock Market Game is a curriculum-based teaching tool that allows students to invest a hypothetical $100,000 online stock portfolio to learn about long-term saving and investing.
While the government confirmed on Thursday that the U.S. economy suffered its largest drop in 26 years during the fourth quarter, the markets provided somewhat of a silver lining earlier this week, posting 20% gains in under three weeks. Unfortunately, the gains were short-lived as the markets retreated on Friday.
As Stock Market Game students select their portfolio investments, they may be interested in taking a look at the most recent issue of BusinessWeek's top 50 stock picks of the S&P 500. It analyzed two core financial measures, average return on capital and growth, both taken over the previous 36 months. It also factored in net profit margins and long-term earning prospects. Unlike in years past, many of the companies occupying the top spots are not well-known. They also span various industries and sectors that your students may want to research further.
The top five include:
- Gilead Sciences (GILD) (Industry: Pharmaceuticals): The top spot goes to a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, and manufactures therapies for viral diseases, infectious diseases and cancer.
- CF Industries Holdings (CF) (Industry: Fertilizers): This company is one of North America's largest manufacturers and distributors of nitrogen and phosphate fertilizer products used primarily by farmers.
- Diamond Offshore (DO) (Industry: Energy Equipment & Services): Diamond is a leading U.S. deepwater drilling contractor providing services to the energy industry worldwide. In 1992, Loews (L) bought the company's assets for $372 million and still controls 50% of Diamond.
- Windstream (WIN) (Industry: Telecommunications): Based in Little Rock, Ark., the company provides phone, digital TV and broadband service to rural customers in 16 states.
- Colgate-Palmolive (CL) (Industry: Consumer Staples): Fortunately, the current state of the economy is not impacting consumers' need to brush their teeth. The company is the leader in oral care products and plans to unveil the Wisp, a disposable mini toothbrush with built-in breath fresheners, on April 6.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV