Buffett's Berkshire: Buying All of Burlington?
Jon "DRJ" Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster.
When evaluating rumors, you have to decide if the chatter meets the three Vs: volume, volatility and valuation. Let's apply it to today's speculation about billionaire investor Warren Buffett.
Guangshen Railway is trading down 71 cents to $16.11 today, which we could attribute to the 3.4% selloff in the broader market as easily as the rumor of its interest in Burlington Northern. Berkshire, led by Buffett, is also down 4.8%.So let's break down the three Vs to see if Burlington Northern could indeed become part of the recent takeover wave: Volatility: Implied volatility peaked at 55% in early March and stood at 47% Friday. Today, Burlington Northern April calls spiked up to 65% again, well surpassing the March highs. May implied volatility stood at 63%. Volume: Normal full-session stock-trading volume over the last three months has been 4 million shares, but in the first two hours alone today 2.3 million changed hands. Valuation: Current valuation of Burlington Northern is $20 billion, and our models indicate that a takeover would be at least $26 billion, which is a tough raise right now. So Burlington Northern meets only two of our three V's, but that doesn't mean there will not be more talk as Burlington Northern trades at about $60.50 per share, down on the day but still double some of its biggest competitors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV