Amylin Nominates 2 New Directors Amid Proxy Fight
SAN DIEGO (AP) ¿ Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc. named two new director nominees Monday as activist investor Carl Icahn and institutional investor Eastbourne Capital Management try to place their own slates of new members on the board.
The biotechnology company nominated Paul N. Clark, former chairman and chief executive of Icos Corp., and Paulo F. Costa, former chairman and CEO of Novartis U.S. Both would be independent directors if elected at the upcoming annual meeting.
Directors Howard E. Greene Jr. and Ginger L. Graham will not stand for re-election this year.
Amylin shares fell 78 cents, or 6.5 percent, to $11.22 in afternoon trading. The stock has traded between $5.50 and $35 over the last 52 weeks."Both Mr. Clark and Mr. Costa possess valuable commercial and operational expertise in the biopharmaceutical industry, which will serve to augment the strengths of the board," Amylin said in a statement. The move comes as Icahn attempts to replace five of the 12 board members with his own choices. He owns about 9.43 percent of the company's stock. It is similar to the power play he made before taking control of ImClone Systems Inc. in 2006 and his current and prior attempts to take over Biogen Idec Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV